When it comes to dinner time, it tends to go by a formula in our house. We pick a protein out of our roster of recipes we typically make (like a sous vide chicken, or a steak, or salmon), then we pick a side to go with it.
The constant struggle is finding sides we like to have often enough, without getting bored of them. One of our go-to favorites is oven-roasted veggies, but another is this carrot recipe. It’s a bit of prep work and a lot of simmering, but it results in tender, slightly sweet, slightly tangy carrots that go great with pretty much everything.
I’m going to get right down to it. It’s a simple recipe, and it’s even easier if you buy pre-chopped carrots. I prefer sticks, like taking a baby carrot and cutting it into quarters length-wise, but you’re free to chop them however you like.
Lemon-Glazed Carrots with Almonds
- Rubber Spatula
- 1 Lb Carrots Peeled and Chopped
- 1 Tsp Corn Starch
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth Or veggie broth if you prefer
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Chives
- ⅓ Cup Sliced Almonds Toasted
- 1 Lemon Juice and Zest
- Peel and slice your carrots however you like. I prefer small sticks.
- Toss the carrots in corn starch to coat.
- In your skillet, combine broth, butter, and sugar, on medium-high heat.
- Once combined and simmering, add the carrots. Reduce heat to about medium.
- Simmer and cook the carrots for about 10-15 minutes, until the carrots are starting to turn tender. Stir occasionally to cook evenly.
- Increase heat to simmer and reduce the glaze.
- When the carrots are nearly the texture you want and the glaze is thickened, add your lemon zest, lemon juice, and chives, and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in almond slices, and serve!