Continuing frozen treats month, let’s talk about ice cream. I’m a big fan of ice cream, but I don’t have an ice cream maker, and if we’re being honest, I don’t think I would get much use out of one if I had one. It’s so much easier to just go buy a pint of Ben & Jerry’s, right?
Well, I had seen a lot of people talking about no-churn ice cream recently, so I thought I’d give it a try. Turns out, it’s both easy and tasty! So tasty, in fact, that I made two kinds just to try it out.
The ice cream basically comes down to two parts: an ice cream base, and the flavoring.
The ice cream base is super simple. All you need is:
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Whipped Cream
- Vanilla Extract
The condensed milk and vanilla serve as the main base. You mix the flavoring into it, and then fold in the whipped cream, and freeze.
As for flavors, I made two. One is chocolate, and the other is fruit. Since we just bought a bunch of fresh peaches from a local orchard, I used that, but any fruit will do.
Once the ice cream is mixed up, all you have to do is spread it into a loaf pan or other container, and freeze it over night.
When it’s ready to serve, it’s pretty simple to scoop and serve. The fruit version may be a little harder than the chocolate version, but letting it warm up for a minute or so will leave it perfect. A fruit makes a great fruit-and-cream ice cream, and the chocolate version is a nice frozen pudding or froyo kind of texture. Delicious! Want to make some for yourself? Here’s how.
No-Churn Ice Cream
- 2 Loaf Pans Or other freezer-safe container.
- Stand Mixer
- Potato Masher To mash fruit.
Ice Cream Base
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 14 Oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
Chocolate Ice Cream Flavor Mix
- 2 Oz Chocolate Chunks
- 3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
Fruit Ice Cream Mix
- ½ Pound Fresh Fruit Any fruit you like.
- ½ Cup Chopped Nuts Optional
Make the Ice Cream Base
- Whip the heavy cream in the stand mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Mix the vanilla extract into the sweetened condensed milk.
- Divide both in half to make two kinds of ice cream. If you just want to make one kind, double the "mix" ingredients above.
For the Chocolate Mix
- Melt the chocolate. In a microwave, this should only take 20 seconds, a stir, and another 20 seconds, give or take.
- Mix the chocolate and cocoa powder into the condensed milk. Quickly fold in the whipped cream and spread into the loaf pan. Freeze over night.
For the Fruit Mix
- Prepare your fruit. Wash, mash, puree, strain, and do any other preparation you want. If it's particularly juicy, you may want to drain some of the liquid.
- Toast your nuts, if you like.
- Mix your fruits and nuts into the condensed milk base.
- Fold in the whipped cream. Spread into your loaf pan and freeze overnight.