Spring is finally here, and I managed to hit one of the local trails and enjoy some of the nice weather now that it’s not either too cold or too rainy to be outside.
While I’m out, I’m also often thinking about things I can bake that fit the season. This one is a recipe a friend of mine, Mona, shared with me. It’s a pretty simple recipe for scones, using blueberries and lemons as the primary flavors. It’s a favorite flavor combo of mine, as you can see in other posts like:
Well, it’s not quite blueberry season here yet, but I still have frozen berries from last year, and they work just fine.
The first thing to know about this recipe is it’s very fast and easy to make. I had the dough prepped and ready to go before my oven finished preheating!
The second thing is that, if you’re using frozen berries, you want to thaw them completely, then put them back in the freezer for a few minutes before mixing them in. This helps prevent the color from bleeding out and staining the dough. Fresh berries won’t have this problem, though! Here’s what they look like if you don’t quite do it right.
The third thing is, if you make the dough a circle, it looks a heck of a lot nicer. Check this out!
I also experimented with dusting the top with some demerara sugar. It’s a coarse grain sugar and didn’t quite have the effect I wanted, but it adds a tasty little crunch on top. Feel free to leave it out if you want.
This recipe makes just what you see above: a small wheel, suitable for four, six, or eight slices depending on how small you want them. It’s basically single-serving for people with families, or two nights of treats for us.
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- Mixing Bowl
- Pastry Cutter Or a big knife
- Pastry Brush
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mat
- 1 Cup Flour
- ⅓ Cup Blueberries
- 7 Tbsp Milk
- 4 Tsp Sour Cream
- 3 Tbsp Butter Frozen and Grated
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
- Preheat your oven to 400 ℉. If using frozen berries, thaw them. Make sure you have some frozen butter to grate.
- Mix your flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in the grated butter, pinching together to better mix.
- In another bowl, mix together the milk, sour cream, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until it comes together, careful not to over-knead it.
- Knead in the blueberries.
- Shape the dough into a disc. Using your pastry cutter, cut the disc into however many pieces you want, radially, like a pie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top starts to brown.
- Remove and place on a cooling rack to cool for 10 minutes before serving.